St. Charles is a
suburb located roughly 40 miles west of Chicago in Kane and DuPage Counties,
Illinois. Originally the location of the community of the chief of the
Potawatomi Native Americans, the area became open to European settlement after
Hawk War of 1832. St. Charles played a big role in the Underground
Railroad, and had an open abolitionist group known as the Kane County Anti-Slavery
Society, founded in 1842.