is a village and bordering suburb of Chicago located in Cook County, Illinois. Originally
purchased in 1835 by James B. Campbell, the land was lost in a court battle,
and John Simpson bought the northern half of the territory. After the
construction of the Black Oak Grove Road, the area was referred to as Black Oak
Grove, or Black Oak for short, but after further development was referred to
simply as Oak Lawn. In 2008, Oak Lawn garnered national press attention for a stop
sign campaign in the area.